Vegetarian Salade Nicoise
Of course you can add chunks of cooked fresh tuna or even good quality tinned tuna to make the original version, but this is quick, delicious & filling!
8 new potatoes
4 medium sized tomatoes cut into quarters
1 tin plum tomatoes
1 red onion finely sliced
4 boiled eggs
1 gem lettuce
1/2 bag of watercress or some other soft leaves
6 anchovies (optional)
3 tbsp olives
2 tsp capers
for the dressing
3 tbsp apple cider or white wine vinegar
5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 garlic clove finely chopped
1 tbsp chopped parsley
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Put potatoes on to boil for 10-12 minutes until soft.
- Mix all dressing ingredients, adding olive oil at the end while whisking – this allow the oil to combine rather than sitting on top.
- Steam or boil french beans for approximately 7 minutes, run them under a cold tap. but into half.
- Boil eggs (see tip on eggs), cool, peel and halve.
- Put sliced onion into a bowl with a couple of tbsp of dressing to marinate.
- Similarly when beans are cooked and drained, toss with a couple of tbsp of dressing.
- Lay shredded lettuce and leaves in a large bowl, followed by beans, potatoes, tomatoes, anchovies olives and onion. Pour over any remaining dressing and place eggs on top.
Approximate cost £5.85 (for the pure veggie version without anchovies).